The chair of Food Chemistry and Molecular Sensory Science at the Technische Universität München (TUM) comprises international research teams with the following focus areas:
- SENSOMICS | Structural decoding and functional reconstruction of chemosensory signatures of foods and beverages.
- BIOACTIVES | Activity-guided discovery of bioactive natural products in foods und complex biological systems.
- NUTRITIONAL METABOLOMICS | Human metabolism of biofunctional food ingredients using metabolomics profiling and molecular definition of nutritive biomarker profiles.
- PHYTOMETABOLOMICS | Molecular and functional mapping of the metabolic response of food plants on abiotic and biotic stress conditions.
- WATER SYSTEMS ENGINEERING | Process development for water treatment and infrastructure- and process-oriented management of energy and material flow in the food and beverage industry.
Since its inception in 2007, the group is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Hofmann who is also co-director of the Bavarian Center for Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry (BayBioMS) and since 2009 Senior Vice President for Research & Innovation at TUM.
State-of-the-art methods of instrumental analysis, human psychophysics, metabolomics, and bioinformatics are combined with a decade of professional experience to form a platform of knowledge and competency with international reputation.
Food Chemistry is a highly interdisciplinary field of chemistry which on the basis of fundamental molecular knowledge delivers key competences to address challenges in the fields of nutrition, food toxicology, food microbiology, and food technology.
Hammerl, Richard; Frank, Oliver; Schmittnägel, Tina; Ehrmann, Matthias A.; Hofmann, Thomas. Functional Metabolome Analysis of Penicillium roqueforti by Means of Differential Off-Line LC–NMR. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2019, 67 (18), pp 5135–5146. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.9b00388.
Kutschera, Alexander; Dawid, Corinna; Gisch, Nicolas; Schmid, Christian; Raasch, Lars; Gerster, Tim; Schäffer, Milena; Smakowska-Luzan, Elwira; Belkhadir, Youssef; Vlot, A. Corina; Chandler, Courtney E.; Schellenberger, Romain; Schwudke, Dominik; Ernst, Robert K.; Dorey, Stéphan; Hückelhoven, Ralph; Hofmann, Thomas; Ranf, Stefanie. Bacterial medium-chain 3-hydroxy fatty acid metabolites trigger immunity in Arabidopsis plants.Science 2019, Vol. 364, Issue 6436, pp. 178-181. DOI: 10.1126/science.aau1279
Spanier, Britta; Lang, Roman; Weber, Daniela; Lechner, Anica; Thoma, Tizia; Rothner, Marion; Petzold, Katrin; Lang, Tatjana; Beusch, Anja; Bösl, Markus; Schlagbauer, Verena; Daniel, Hannelore; Hofmann, Thomas. Bioavailability and biological effects of 2-O-β-D-glucopyranosyl-carboxyatractyligenin from green coffee in Caenorhabditis elegans. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2019, 67, 17, 4774-4781. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.8b06785.