The chair of Food Chemistry and Molecular Sensory Science at the Technische Universität München (TUM) comprises international research teams with the following focus areas:
- SENSOMICS | Structural decoding and functional reconstruction of chemosensory signatures of foods and beverages.
- BIOACTIVES | Activity-guided discovery of bioactive natural products in foods und complex biological systems.
- NUTRITIONAL METABOLOMICS | Human metabolism of biofunctional food ingredients using metabolomics profiling and molecular definition of nutritive biomarker profiles.
- PHYTOMETABOLOMICS | Molecular and functional mapping of the metabolic response of food plants on abiotic and biotic stress conditions.
- WATER SYSTEMS ENGINEERING | Process development for water treatment and infrastructure- and process-oriented management of energy and material flow in the food and beverage industry.
Since its inception in 2007, the group is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Hofmann who is President of the Technical University of Munich since 2019. Provisional head of the chair is Prof. Dr. Corinna Dawid, who is also co-director of the Bavarian Center for Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry (BayBioMS).
State-of-the-art methods of instrumental analysis, human psychophysics, metabolomics, and bioinformatics are combined with a decade of professional experience to form a platform of knowledge and competency with international reputation.
Food Chemistry is a highly interdisciplinary field of chemistry which on the basis of fundamental molecular knowledge delivers key competences to address challenges in the fields of nutrition, food toxicology, food microbiology, and food technology.
Sinah Reiter, Andreas Dunkel, Amira Metwaly, Julian Panes, Azucena Salas, Dirk Haller, and Thomas Hofmann. Development of a Highly Sensitive Ultra-High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Coupled to Electrospray Ionization Tandem Mass Spectrometry Quantitation Method for Fecal Bile Acids and Application on Crohn’s Disease Studies. 2021. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.1c00769
Nadja Förster, Kyriaki Antoniadou, Matthias Zander, Sebastian Baur, Verena Karolin Mittermeier-Kleßinger, Corinna Dawid, Christian Ulrichs and Inga Mewis. Chemoprofiling as Breeding Tool for Pharmaceutical Use of Salix. 2021. Frontiers in Plant Science 12:579820. doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2021.579820
Gerold Felix Rebholz, Karin Sebald, Sebastian Dirndorfer, Corinna Dawid, Thomas Hofmann, Katharina Anne Scherf. Impact of exogenous α‑amylases on sugar formation in straight dough wheat bread. 2021. European Food Research and Technology 247:695–706. doi.org/10.1007/s00217-020-03657-y