The chair of Food Chemistry and Molecular Sensory Science at the Technische Universität München (TUM) comprises international research teams with the following focus areas:
- SENSOMICS | Structural decoding and functional reconstruction of chemosensory signatures of foods and beverages.
- BIOACTIVES | Activity-guided discovery of bioactive natural products in foods und complex biological systems.
- NUTRITIONAL METABOLOMICS | Human metabolism of biofunctional food ingredients using metabolomics profiling and molecular definition of nutritive biomarker profiles.
- PHYTOMETABOLOMICS | Molecular and functional mapping of the metabolic response of food plants on abiotic and biotic stress conditions.
- WATER SYSTEMS ENGINEERING | Process development for water treatment and infrastructure- and process-oriented management of energy and material flow in the food and beverage industry.
Since its inception in 2007, the group is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Hofmann who is President of the Technical University of Munich since 2019. Provisional head of the chair is Prof. Dr. Corinna Dawid, who is also co-director of the Bavarian Center for Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry (BayBioMS).
State-of-the-art methods of instrumental analysis, human psychophysics, metabolomics, and bioinformatics are combined with a decade of professional experience to form a platform of knowledge and competency with international reputation.
Food Chemistry is a highly interdisciplinary field of chemistry which on the basis of fundamental molecular knowledge delivers key competences to address challenges in the fields of nutrition, food toxicology, food microbiology, and food technology.
Hoai Thi Thu Tran, Michael Gigl, Nguyen Phan Khoi Le, Corinna Dawid and Evelyn Lamy. In Vitro Effect of Taraxacum officinale Leaf Aqueous Extract on the Interaction between ACE2 Cell Surface Receptor and SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein D614 and Four Mutants. Pharmaceuticals 2021, 14(10), 1055; doi.org/10.3390/ph14101055.
Katharina N´Diaye, Marcel Debong, Jürgen Behr, Sebastian Dirndorfer, Tara Duggan, Anja Beusch, Verena Schlagbauer, Corinna Dawid, Helene M. Loos, Andrea Buettner, Roman Lang, Thomas Hofmann. Dietary Piperine is Transferred Into the Milk of Nursing Mothers. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 2021, 2100508. doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.202100508
Antoniadou, Kyriaki, Corinna Herz, Nguyen P.K. Le, Verena K. Mittermeier-Kleßinger, Nadja Förster, Matthias Zander, Christian Ulrichs, Inga Mewis, Thomas Hofmann, Corinna Dawid, and Evelyn Lamy. Identification of Salicylates in Willow Bark (Salix Cortex) for Targeting Peripheral Inflammation. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2021. 22, no. 20: 11138. doi.org/10.3390/ijms222011138